Want to help curb Savannah’s severe gang and crime-related violence problem?
Join WSAV morning anchor Dave Kartunen at an Oyster Roast to raise awareness of the Frank Callen Boys & Girls Club in Savannah, , Sunday, March 1 @ Coach’s Corner from 1-4p.
Learn more about the Frank Callen Boys & Girls Club @ this community-recognition event.
For 98 years, the Frank Callen Boys & Girls Clubs have been in the forefront of youth development, maintaining a significant role in our community. The club provides children with developmental activities and services, encouragement and hope. The club’s mainstay programming is focused on academic success, sports and fitness, character and leadership training and healthy lifestyles. Though the club only charges members a mere $10 annual fee, it actually costs us $600+ per child, per year to provide those services. Each year, the club works with more than 1,000 children from disadvantaged economic, social and family circumstances and focus on a mission of enabling all young people to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
The Frank Callen Boys & Girls Club depends on the generosity of donors in the Savannah community in order to continue with their mission.
As you know, gang and crime related violence is on the rise here in Savannah. However, if the Frank Callen Boys & Girls Club has at-risk youth in programs, they are less likely to end up on the streets. Did you know that 33% of Savannah’s children live in poverty? As a result, children in poverty are 6 times more likely to drop out of high school and more likely to get involved with drugs, alcohol, gangs and crime. As a direct correlation, 80% of Georgia’s prison population is made up of high school dropouts. The Frank Callen Boys & Girls Clubs can change that; and, instead offer a bright future for our children.
The club’s programs work: 78% of the club’s kids are On Grade Level (the remaining 22% are those with learning disabilities); 93% are expected to complete high school; 88% intend/expect to go on to college; and, 37% of the club’s teens expect to achieve an advanced degree.