OK, OK, we fully realize applying to a funded (i.e. FREE!) pre-K program isn’t the equivalent to trying to get into an Ivy League.
But it can be stressful and every bit of info helps. So below is a lowdown on the dizzying application process, which runs Feb. 2-March 16, and the nerve-wrecking lottery held @ the school sites @ 10 am March 18. You can attend the lottery drawing to see if you child gets in to the pre-K program of your choice or wait to be notified in writing of acceptance or waiting list status during the week of March 23.
Applications will continue to be accepted after the classes are filled, but they will be placed on a “waiting list” in the event that openings occur in the pre-K classes.
The most surprising tidbit from the info below is that you can only apply to TWO different schools and that your first choice must be the school in your attendance zone.
1. The child must be 4 years old on or before September 1, 2009.
2. The child must be a Chatham County resident.
3. If your child is selected, the following required documents are needed: Georgia Immunization Certificate #3231, certified birth certificate, social security card, Eye Ear & Dental Certificate and proof of residence.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
1. The program is full day. Check with your school for the starting and ending times.
2. You can apply at two different school sites; however your first choice must be the school in your attendance zone.
3. You are required to show proof of residence when submitting an application and at the time of registration.
4. Transportation will be provided to children who are on the existing bus routes for each elementary school. No transportation is provided to Windsor High School, Woodville Tompkins, or Savannah High School.
5. Before and after school programs are provided at most elementary school sites. Call your school for further information.
HOW TO APPLY
Parents must apply to the pre-k school site within their *designated attendance zone and one other additional site of their choice. (Only two applications can be submitted)
Complete the application and return it to the school site(s).
The first date to return applications is Mon., Feb. 2. Please contact the school if changes in your address or telephone number should occur after the application is submitted.
Here is a list of all the schools in Chatham County that offer the free pre-K program. Applications will be available at the school sites.
Thanks (once again) to SouthernMamas reader Kari Hunter for providing this info!!